Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

All I want for my birthday is ... floss?

Do I find it a little weird that whenever I go to China my grandparents and uncles always ask for floss? Yes, of course. Why wouldn't I? 

I absolutely hate going to the dentist and the thought of asking for oral hygiene products for a GIFT? Well, that's just beyond weird.                   

                               
I forget, however, that for many people in China and even for some people in the US, dental care is considered a luxury. Many people here in the US have no dental insurance and so the routine teeth cleaning is not so routine. As a consequence, cavities and infections are ignored until they become a much more severe problem. Shockingly, some of these issues can even turn into ER problems.

Dental health and overall health is highly correlated. A person with oral issues such as gum disease or tooth decay at greater risks for heart issues, diabetes, osteoporosis and a host of other problems. When you have bad teeth, it's not just an matter of attractiveness, but it could be a matter of life or death! 

So I'm glad to be buying Costco cases of floss for my relatives. If they're healthy, I'm happy. 

P.S. It's also always good to have good smelling breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment